Green history and heritage - A source of interesting information
about Bell Green.
Only two miles from the centre of Coventry. This was once a little
rural Village where most of the property was owned by the Craven
Family of Coombe Abbey. When Binley colliery opened many miners
homes were built, changing the shape of the village. Workers came
from different parts of the country to start new lives and when
the pit closed chose to remain. Binley has an unusual and interesting
church built by the Craven Family which is well worth a visit.
Bartholomew's Church - Their website.
Abbey - Their Website.
This area of Coventry contains unspoilt woodlands, known as Ten
Shilling Wood and Park Wood.
Canley’s most famous son was Sir Henry Parkes, Prime Minister
of New South Wales five times. Sir Henry was born in Canley in 1815
the son of a tenant farmer, when he travelled to Australia with
his wife he was practically penniless. Upon his arrival he became
involved in politics, founding a newspaper to put his opinions across,
he was also a poet. In Australia he is known as the “Father
of Canley Ford – Group dedicated to the protecting the
remaining meadowland from development.
At one time home to many of Coventry’s watchmakers, this
area was first developed in the 1850’s. When cheep imports
of watches from the USA caused a decline in this industry some watchmakers
immigrated to the USA others turned there skills to the emerging
cycle making industry.
Community Website - Learn more about this popular area of Coventry.
Foleshill at one time formed part of the estate of Lady Godiva.
Many years later Fords Hospital was one of a number of charities
endowed with parts of Foleshill. Hand loom weaving spread to the
area from Coventry. Much hardship was caused here when the weaving
industry went into decline; this was caused by cheap French imports.
There was also a brick kiln at Foleshill. It also became home to
some large factories and Coventry's gas works (now demolished),
the old Gas Works site is now the new home of Coventry City Football
Established in 1828 Hillfields was outside the city wall. This
area was at first a home to Coventry’s weaving industry and
housed many of its workers, then it became a home to bicycle manufacture,
which then developed into car production at its height there were
around 20 different car makers based here.
Partnership Board Website - For more Hillfields History.
This attractive area of Coventry was once part of the estate of
Earl Leofric (husband of Godiva) but it was gifted to the church
when he founded Coventry Priory. At the dissolution of the monasteries
the land was sold passing through many hands until it was acquired
by the Gregory family. Part of this land was sold to Coventry Council
to create a Memorial Park to commemorate those killed in the First
World War. The remaining part of the estate was sold to the Council
Coventry - This website contains a wealth of information on
Spon End past and present.
This area was once two little villages called Stoke and Bigging.
At one time Stoke had a flourishing tile making industry which was
later replaced by the making of clay pipes. Brick making was another
local industry with both clay and sand readily available at Stoke
Heath. But many of the locals worked in the weaving industry.
Walsgrave on Sowe
Museum, Willenhall - Website of Willenhall History Group well
worth a visit.
- A source of interesting information about Wyken.